NEW DELHI, Jan 11 (The CONNECT) – Indore and Surat shared the top ranking while Navi Mumbai came third the Swachh Sarvekshan Awards 2023.

This is the sixth time that Indore has won the top honour.

President Droupadi Murmu conferred the awards 2023 at Bharat Mandapam, New Delhi hosted by the Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs (MoHUA).

In all, 13 awardees received felicitations under categories of Clean Cities, Cleanest Cantonment, SafaiMitra Suraksha, Ganga Towns and Best Performing State were given away. This year the cleanest city award showcased joint winners.

In the category of cities with a population of less than 1 lakh, Sasvad, Patan and Lonavala secured the top three spots.

Mhow Cantonment Board in Madhya Pradesh was adjudged the Cleanest Cantonment Board. Varanasi and Prayagraj won the top two awards amongst the Cleanest Ganga Towns.

Maharashtra, Madhya Pradesh and Chhattisgarh won the top three awards for Best Performing State.  Chandigarh walked away with the award for the Best Safaimitra Surakshit Sheher. 110 awards were bestowed during the ceremony.

President Murmu said, cleanliness has to be made divine process. The G20 Leaders’ Delhi Declaration has committed to “enhance environmentally sound waste management and substantially reduce waste generation by 2030 and highlight the importance of zero waste initiatives.”

=======================================================

Navi Mumbai Municipal Commissioner Rajesh Narvekar hailed the contribution of all civic employees and the people in keeping the city clean.

The administration is committed to make Navi Mumbai Number One in the next year’s rankings.

=======================================================

Union Minister Hardeep Singh Puri said, “Today every city in India is ODF. This became possible because SBM went from a govt programme to becoming a Jan Andolan. The mission is a testimony to the vision of Antodaya se Sarvodaya.”

Welcoming the delegates at the award ceremony, Secretary, MoHUA, Manoj Joshi said, “There’s been a lot of visible transformation in terms of Swachhata in the last 9 years. There is toilet everywhere and for everyone. We have cleaned up 90% of the country, need to clean up the remaining 10%.

In all 20 zonal awards were given to medium and small cities. Check out the winners list, GFC & ODF results dashboard here.

The nine years of Swachh Bharat Mission and the spirit of swachhata was reinvigorated in the presence of the Hon’ble President, through an audio visual presentation highlighting Ek Tareekh Ek Ghanta Ek Saath campaign and the release of the Swachh Bharat Mission Anthem for 2024. Playback singer, Kailash Kher has lent his voice to the anthem ‘Naya Sankalp Hai, Naya Prakalp Hai’.